Tuesday, August 17, 2010

My Back to School List



I have been prepping for school (so excited!), hence my lack of writing.  My back to school list was pretty extensive to say the least, but there were some items that were must haves.  I'm going back to college so this does not include things like bedding, but more personal things that want to add to my wardrobe along with some school supply essentials.





For starters I need a planner, always.  I am not the most OCD person you'll ever meet, but when it comes to school and scheduling I need a planner to keep me on schedule.  Making its second appearance this year is the Moleskine 18-month Large Softcover Weekly Notebook.  Last year my best friend in the whole entire world introduced this to me.  I had another sub-par notebook ready, but after seeing the Moleskine she bought I waltzed over the Barnes and Noble and got myself one. It's sleek and black so it fits nicely anywhere and goes with anything.  I also really enjoy the set-up.  It has two pages for a time-table schedule (one for each semester), weekly pages with Monday through Sunday on one side and a lined page on the right (to write my daily assignments), and months at a glance.  What more could you ask for???  I loved the planner so much I bought a matching red hardcover journal for personal thoughts.




















Next item on the list isn't as practical as a planner, but on the list nonetheless.  I've been searching for a shirt to tuck into a high wasted skirt or pants.  The typical v-neck or tank is always a good option, but I wanted something different, particularly for going out at school.  I initially found a white corset top at anthropologie.com, but I waited too long to buy it and it went out of sale...sad face.  I did stumble upon a more intricate, but slightly more expensive corset top that would do the job.  The Surreptitious Corset is actually better for going out (white, hmm not such a good combo with a party) because it's blue (neutral color) and with the lace detail, the top suddenly becomes more outfit friendly.  The top is in the intimates section, that is not going to discourage me from wearing it with an adorable high waisted skirt.  Takin' a risk!











Next order of business; the feet, but more importantly what goes on them.  Right before spring of last year I purchases my first pair of TOMS.  Not only are they comfortable with a supporting arch, but they are a dark shade of grey so I can wear them with almost any color and any outfit.  So I think the time has come for me to purchase a new pair.  I'm still deciding between a more neutral pair or walking on the wild side with some glitter action.  The TOMS Indigo Powdered Wool Cordones are a new style and I love the Keds "esk" style without the laces and how the color fades as the material approaches the toe.  This is slightly more trendy than my tradition grey ones as well as a new style.  On the other hand, I could opt for the Silver Glitters.  I am toying with the idea of gold as well, but either way the glitter gives it a sexy pop of color while sticking with the neutrals.  After writing this post I think I'm leaning toward the glitters.  Very productive.

In terms of make-up I try to test out different brands and colors, but one eyeshadow will forever be my neutral staple.  Two years ago I wandered into MAC pleading for help with a neutral eye look that would be fancy enough for prom.  The MAC man delivered and included in the three different eyeshadows I purchased was Jest (you can scan through the colors to Jest and select frost to purchase).  After I used it for my prom makeup, I began using it as my everyday eyeshadow.  I don't like to wear a lot of make-up so this was perfect.  In the winter it provides a nice and subtle nude shimmer, but in the summer with a bronze face, Jest adds a pink shimmer on top of your sun kissed skin.
Yes, that is a picture of a man, but I recently had coffee with my friend and I asked where she got her white v-neck from (have been on the pursuit for the perfect one forever) and she shared it's from target from Hanes.  It's perfect.  The neck does not plunge too far down when put on a woman, it's not as see-through as most white v-necks out there are, and it's super cheap. LOVE.  I have yet to purchase it, but judging from the look my friend Molly was sporting I think it's going to be a winner.

Now these are only a few things on my list, but these are the main things that stand out in my mind that I must get.  Shop 'till I drop?! 

2 comments:

  1. I am literally writing a post about pairing corset tops and high-waisted skirts right now. Great minds think alike :)

    ReplyDelete